Mommy's Ark
I've always loved animals. You might even say I've always had a way with them. When I was just learning to walk, we owned a Siamese cat named Sam. Sam didn't really like anybody but me. I could grab him around the belly and toddle around the house with him, fall on top of him, even put Mr. Potato Head's little green glasses on him, and he still loved me. I've had pets in my life almost constantly and they've all been like family. They have thoughts, feelings, and moods just like we do. Call me crazy, but you won't change my mind.
Lately, it seems like animals needing help show up wherever I go. Actually, I don't even have to leave the house. They just come to me. There was a hint of something supernatural in the sparrow that hit the front window last summer. She seemed so content to just rest in my hand long after she was ready to fly off. That stuck with me. I always feed the animals in our yard and bury any that I find that have died. I feel it's my duty to do what I can for them.
Heath says my heart is a little too big sometimes. I suppose he's right, but I can't imagine being any other way. Since the stray we took in (I still haven't found his name), there have been two more that have come to our house. One has been back twice for food but won't let us touch it yet. Hey, I get that my kids are intimidating. The other belonged to someone several blocks away.
Then, there was the cat that found me on the set of the movie I was working on (nothing glamorous, people) and stuck to me like glue. She came back to meet me every morning we were there. Thankfully, one of the women on-set took her home on Sunday. Heath would NOT have been happy if I brought home another cat!
Today, it was a duck. I swear, I don't go looking for these things. They just happen. I was on my way to get my hair cut and passed a female mallard standing in a puddle near the end of somebody's driveway. That's not uncommon around here. We have several that make their homes in the stream in our backyard. What was uncommon, is the fact that she didn't flinch when I drove by. I was going to keep going, but something inside me said I should stop and go back. So, I did. She was hurt, but I had no idea how badly until I actually caught her. She didn't make it easy, but she couldn't fly either and I couldn't just leave her when I saw she was bleeding. Her chest/belly were torn open, but since she was still moving around I figured the important stuff was still working.
Once I had her wrapped up in Abby's pink satin princess cape (I have weird things in my car) I took her the few blocks to our vet. He wasn't in yet so the lady at the desk sent me to the animal and avian clinic down the street. Makes sense, right? Well, they wouldn't help either since she was a wild animal. WHAT?! She's BLEEDING and OBVIOUSLY needs help! It's not like she has rabies! So they sent me half an hour away to the nearest state university since they have a wildlife rescue program. Had to stop and get gas before I could make THAT drive. Did I mention I was doing all of this with an injured duck in one arm?
I finally get there and say goodbye to her hoping that since she's still awake and trying to move around that nothing vital was damaged and she would be fine. They called me a couple of hours later to tell me she had a lot of muscle damage and they'd thought it best to put her down. If I'd only known that I would have stayed with her! She seemed to trust that I was trying to help her once I had her all bundled up and she realized I wasn't trying to hurt her. I shouldn't have left her alone.
Does this mean my heart is too big? Should I care a little less about these smaller creatures? I just can't accept that. I think there's a reason they find me. I'm not a better person than anyone else. I don't think loving these animals makes me special. I just do what needs to be done and trust things will work out for the best. I'm starting to wonder if there's some reason behind all of these. Is there something I'm missing? Something more I need to do? Am I really just finally starting to lose it? At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lion with a thorn in his paw sitting on my front step some morning. I wonder what's next?
No comments:
Post a Comment